Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Intentionality, Being Too Christian, and Natural Faith Expression

I asked participants in my Christian bloggers surveys about their inclusion of Christian topics in their writing. I was interested in whether or not bloggers intentionally include topics pertaining to Christianity (whether for evangelism purposes or otherwise), or if it was just something natural, an outpouring of their faith.

Some respondents stated that their inclusion of Christian topics was very intentional, such as this participant who stated: "Yes. I want to defend Christianity from objections. I want people to see Christian reflections on things Christians don't often enough reflect on. I want Christians themselves to be challenged in their thinking. Much of the reason is simply that I think about Christian topics because I'm a Christian, and I write about what I think about, since that's what I'm most likely to have something to say about."

A few respondents stated their caution on being "too Christian." One respondent answered as follows: "Yes, (my inclusion of Christian topics in my blogging) reflects my life. However, I don't want non-believers to feel very uncomfortable when reading my blog," and another stated simply "I mention my faith once in a while, but I don't make it a regular thing on the blog. It isn't something I talk about much."

Most respondents were very positive, saying their discussion of Christian issues and writing from a Christian perspective is a natural outpouring of their faith. "I do (write about Christian topics) because that is a part of my life, Christianity influences how I think and perceive the world, there would be no way for me not comment about those topics."

Another participant in the surveys gave this interesting perspective: "Christianity stands on its own merits; unless I'm debating a point of authority, or making a religious statement, I try to build my writing around an invisible structure. Something that has Christ in its bones, not on its shirt, if you know what I mean."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home