Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Blog Readers

A new CNN/Gallup poll suggests that the large majority of people do not read blogs. The poll found that only 7% of the population read blogs two or three times per week. 48% said they never read them. The good news was that only 26% were "very familiar" or "somewhat familiar" with blogs -- so not many people have been exposed to them yet. CNN said the poll was based on telephone interviews of 1,008 American adults carried out February 25-27 and that it has a margin of error of plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.
Source: Bloggers Blog.

I am not surprised at these findings. Although blogging is becoming increasingly more popular, I think that there is still a long way to go before blogging is completely "mainstream." What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Martin Kelley said...

A lot of the people who come to my blog arrive via Google and many don't wander the rest of the site. I suspect that a lot of them don't even realize they're reading a blog.

I don't care if visitors think it's just a generic website. The blogging format has given me the space to write stuff that I might not have put up on a standard website. And the "blogging culture" has put me in touch with like-minded people whose comments have sharpened my writings.

March 09, 2005 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a newbie when it comes to blogging. I find it very therapeutic indeed, being an isolated expat in a bilingual town (German and French) in Switzerland.

I have yet to master how to, say, tweak the template to make my blog/s more appealing to the eye.

It seems that blogging has not gone mainstream yet. My family and friends back home (Philippines) have no idea what blogging is all about. They are all busy with their day-to-day stuff. But they do e-mail people and search info on the Net via Google.

I found about blogging only last October 2004 while reading an online newspaper article about blogging. That started it all.

Hope this helps.

April 06, 2005 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home